Apr 21, 2023
In the second part of our Joan Harrison: Producer Special Subject, we look at Harrison's Robert Montgomery years and her final films made before turning to television. which include both known and overlooked gems: Ride the Pink Horse (1947), Once More, My Darling (1949), Your Witness (1950), and Circle of Danger (1951). We identify the various themes and concerns that unite films within this group, with particular attention to the way Harrison makes political progressivism serve dramatic ends. And in our Fear and Moviegoing in Toronto segment, we take a quick look at two silent films written and directed by Mikio Naruse, Flunky, Work Hard! and Apart From You, that we will be watching for a dedicated episode later this year.
0h 0m 45s: Preamble on the Harrison-Montgomery partnership
0h 7m 00s: RIDE THE PINK HORSE (1947) [dir. Robert Montgomery]
0h 36m 06s: ONCE MORE, MY DARLING (1949) [dir. Robert Montgomery]
0h 49m 54s: YOUR WITNESS (1950) [dir. Robert Montgomery]
1h 04m 08s: CIRCLE OF DANGER (1951) [dir. Jacques Tourneur]
1h 29m 24s: Fear and Moviegoing in Toronto – Mikio Naruse’s Flunky! Work Hard (1931) and Apart from You (1933)
1h 33m 51s: Letter from Simon!
* Listen to our guest episode on The Criterion Project – a discussion of Late Spring
* Marvel at our meticulously ridiculous Complete Viewing Schedule for the 2020s
* Intro Song: “Sunday” by Jean Goldkette Orchestra with the Keller Sisters (courtesy of The Internet Archive)
* Read Elise’s piece on Gangs of New York – “Making America Strange Again”
* Check out Dave’s Robert Benchley blog – an attempt to annotate and reflect upon as many of the master humorist’s 2000+ pieces as he can locate – Benchley Data: A Wayward Annotation Project!
Follow us on Twitter at @therebuggy
Write to us at email@example.com
We now have a Discord server - just drop us a line if you'd like to join!